What is CPTED?
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) is a unique approach to urban design that aims to reduce crime by designing the built environment according to a set of guidelines. CPTED aims to decrease crime opportunity, increase the risk of detection and reduce the potential rewards of crime.
CPTED Reports in Lake Macquarie
In Lake Macquarie Development Control Plan 2014, the terminology used is Crime Risk Assessment (rather than CPTED Report or Safer by Design Report). The DCP states that Crime Risk Assessments must be prepared by “a suitably qualified practitioner” – that is, someone who has completed the NSW Police Safer By Design Course. We have two such people on our team – contact us for a quote for your project.
The DCP provides a list of development types for which a Crime Risk Assessment is required. The list is slightly different for residential, business and industrial zones (based on the permitted uses in those zones), but it includes:
Residentialdevelopment comprising more than 20 dwellings
- Boarding houses
- Tourist and visitor accommodation
- Eco-tourist facilities
- Medical centres
- Health services facilities
- Group homes
- Seniors housing developments and hospitals with more than 30 beds
- Child care centres
- Educational establishments
- Information and education facilities
- Places of public worship
- Community facilities
- Development involving the provision of publicly accessible open space
- Recreation facilities (indoor)
- Recreation facilities (outdoor)
- Recreation facilities (major)
- Recreation areas
- Sex service premises
- Takeaway food and drink premises
- Registered clubs
- Entertainment facilities
- Function centre
- Service stations
- Car parks
- Car parking station
- Industries comprising more than one unit
- Air transport facilities
- Passenger transport facilities
- Freight transport facilities
- Developments valued at $5,000,000 or more
- Developments with a gross floor area greater than 5,000m2
- Developments open to the public between
Why choose Octagon Planning for your CPTED Report?
Octagon Planning has two CPTED consultants. Our Director, Nicola Stainton, and Senior Consultant, Andrew Neil, have been working together on CPTED projects since 2012, when Andrew completed the NSW Police Safer By Design course. Nicola completed the same course in 2018.
They say two heads are better than one, and that’s why we carry out all CPTED site visits as a two-person team. This enables us to look at your project from different perspectives, backed up with years of experience and the latest training. Contact us to discuss how we would approach your project.
Our CPTED experience in the Lake Macquarie LGA includes:
- Commercial and Residential Masterplan, Bonnells Bay (Client: The Bay Hotel Motel)
- Boarding House, Fennell Bay (Client: Private)
- Residential Development, Mount Hutton (Client: Mavid Properties)
- Childcare Centre, Cardiff (Client: Mavid Properties)
- Service Station, Freemans Waterhole (Client: TRG)
Outside of Lake Macquarie, we’ve worked on the following diverse projects:
- Mixed Use Development, Merewether (Client: Perception Planning)
- Residential Subdivision, Scone (Client: Perception Planning)
- Residential Development, Adamstown (Client: Adamstown RSL)
- Residential Flat Building, Rouse Hill (Client: iDraft)
- Seniors Living Development, Kiama (Client: DTB Architects)
- Boarding House, Toukley (Client: Private)
- Licensed Restaurant, Parramatta (Client: Butter)
- Takeaway Premises, Hamilton (Client: Oasis Kebab and Pide)
- Culture Hub, Wyong (Client: Central Coast Council)
To discuss your project and request a quote for a CPTED Report, contact us today.